Thursday, October 06, 2011

Satin Seam Binding - Day 4

Satin seam binding can be used in so many ways, but today I have a tutorial that doesn't involve any advanced skills or fiddly work, and can give you a finished layout in less than an hour - I promise!

My layout contains a photo of birthday candles so I wanted to create a textured element on my page to complement that. I started with 8 pieces of hot pink satin seam binding, each approximately 5cm in length (my 8 "flames").
I've used papers and stickers from the Echo Park Life is Good collection kit throughout this layout. The stripes in this paper strip are my "candles" and I've used a strip of masking tape along 8 of them to reinforce the 8 holes I have punched.
 I've passed pieces of the seam binding through the holes and held them each in place with a staple.
 The whole strip was glued in place......
 ....and then covered with a piece of strawberry ribbon.
 The ribbon was the right width to cover the staples and still allow me to machine stitch both edges without hitting the staples. A length of black and white gingham ribbon has also been stitched across the photo near the top.
 And here is the finished layout:
By Petrina McDonald

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea for the ribbon...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous layout - I love the idea with the candles - it is so effective! Thanks for the inspiration - gorgeous! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it Petrina, love the idea of the colour strip, love how good that strawberry ribbon looks!

    ReplyDelete