Thursday, February 09, 2012

Fabric flowers tutorial

Hi everyone,
A little flower tutorial for you today.. I always scrap on a Friday night but last Friday just didn't feel up to a layout so I thought I'd give making some fabric flowers a go... these are cheap to make and you can co-ordinate them perfectly with any project depending on what fabric and buttons you use.
First I cut out a variety of circles using my big shot dies.... you could even just trace around a cup or bottle and hand cut the circles if you don't have a die cutting machine.
Then stitched around the outer edge of the circle with a basic running stitch and pulled tight. This forms the centre of your flower.
Thirdly just choose a button for the flower centre and sew in place.


To take the flowers to the next level, I grabbed some pretty ribbon - any from the Frills N Things category will work a treat (I've used the Pleated Satin Ribbon) and some Gingham elastic... I then made a large loop and glued it around the outer edge of the flower.

I made quite a few using different fabric, most with just calico and all with a variety of Craft Queen buttons.

and of course I had to use one straight away :)

using:
Jumbo Ric Rac
Blue lace
Blue and White flower button - this is my flower centre.
SRM Stickers

Hope you get a chance to give it a go. Gwen

2 comments:

  1. oh very cute flowers Gwen, LOVE all the buttons you used! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you Gwen, I have always wondered how to make these...I love all you examples, & cant wait to have a whilr at some.

    ReplyDelete